Women in Arizona lose over $6 billion dollars every year because of the gender pay gap or $7,000 per woman per year.

Equal Pay Day, the date that symbolizes how far into the year women must work to earn what men earned in the previous year, is April 10, 2018. Central Phoenix/Inez Casiano NOW is hosting a press conference to commemorate the City of Phoenix proclamation and urge action to eliminate this economic harm to women.

The press conference will be Tuesday, April 10, 8:30 a.m., City Hall, 200 W. Washington in the atrium. Mayor Stanton will present the 2018 equal pay proclamation and speakers include City Council member Kate Gallegos; Stephanie Vasquez, owner of Fair Trade Cafés; State Representative Athena Salman; and Nelexia Galloway from Young Black Professionals. Women will be wearing red to illustrate that women remain "in the red" for over three months because of discrimination in pay.

More than 50 years after the passage of the Equal Pay Act and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, women and people of color continue to suffer the consequences of inequitable pay. UN Women calls the pay gap “the biggest robbery in history.” The loss constitutes 16% for white women in Arizona, 19% for Asian women, 33% for Black women, 46% for Hispanic women and even more for Native Americans. A recent World Economic Forum report said that at present rates, it will take 70 years to close the gendered wage gap, and 170 to achieve economic equality among men and women.

On average, Arizona women who are employed full time lose a combined total of nearly six billion dollars every year due to the wage gap. If the annual wage gap were eliminated, on average, a working woman in Arizona would have enough money for approximately: 51 more weeks of food for her family; six more months of mortgage and utilities payments; or nearly eight more months of rent.
In Arizona, more than 304,000 family households are headed by women. About 31% of those families, or 94,869 family households, have incomes that fall below the poverty level. Eliminating the wage gap would provide much-needed income to women whose wages sustain their households.

The wage gap persists regardless of industry, educational level or occupation. Statistical analysis shows that 62% of the wage gap can be attributed to occupational and industry differences; experience and education; and factors such as race, region and unionization. That leaves 38% of the gap unaccounted for, leading researchers to conclude that factors such as discrimination and unconscious bias continue to affect women’s wages.

Cupcakes will be for sale at the event for $1.00 to men and $.80 to women since fairness dictates women should pay less since they are paid less.


I have been involved with publishing and marketing for the past 32 years. My passion is helping people share their voice. I am able to do this through two important venues: One, with Area-Info.net where people can share everything from opinions to events to news. It is your choice! What do you want to share? Two, through a new program called America's Real Deal I am involved with to help business owners get their voice heard.I schedule speaking engagements with community groups and business groups to share my passion about the importance of "sharing your voice".Contact me directly at lee@leeeverton.com for scheduling information.

You May Also Like