NEW ORLEANS – Over the past few weeks, Seventh District investigators have seen an increase in car burglaries in the area. In most incidents, car doors were simply left unlocked.
Sgt. Anthony Edenfield shows us in a PSA how easy it is for perpetrators to burglarize an unlocked vehicle and Commander Lawrence Dupree shares some helpful tips.
Vehicle burglaries are largely avoidable. Here are some tips on how to avoid car break-ins and thefts:
1. Lock the doors
2. Close windows and sunroofs
3. Don’t leave valuables such as laptops, cell phones, wallets, purses or GPS devices in plain view
4. Put away the garage door opener and any items with personal information
5. Move valuables to the trunk before reaching your destination
6. Don’t leave keys in the vehicle