Celebration Noon – 2 P.M. Saturday
Ward 1 residents have been invited to join Councilwoman Lois Tarkanian at noon Saturday, March 24, for the Gary Dexter Park Grand Re-Opening, including free children’s activities, DJ entertainment and hot dogs and hamburgers while supplies last. The entire 53-year-old park, located at 800 Upland Blvd. (at Trent Avenue), has been remodeled.
All of the former park features were removed, except the restroom building, playground equipment and baseball field. The $2.1 million remodeling budget included adding the following amenities:
- Splash pad;
- Two new basketball courts;
- Large dog run;
- Small dog run;
- Walking path;
- Water fountains for people and dogs;
- Additional trees and landscaping;
- Parking lot improvements;
- Open grass turf area;
- LED lighting throughout;
- Three shade structures;
- Four exercise stations;
- Picnic tables and barbecues;
- New irrigation throughout the park; and
- Repairs to baseball field existing perimeter fencing.
APCO Construction was the contractor. Funding for the improvements came from the city’s general funds. For more information on the grand re-opening, call 702-229-6405.