Walk To End Lupus NOW

The Lupus Foundation of America, Utah Chapter (LFAU) will hold its 2nd annual St. George Walk to End Lupus Now on Saturday, November 8th 2014 at Vernon Worthen Park. The LFAU has held this same walk in Salt Lake City over the past 5 years and has raised‏ over $150,000.  The walk is from 11-1 and check-in and registration begins at 9am.  Registration is open online at www.utahlupus.org, and is free.  You can create a fundraising page online when you register and raise money to support the chapter. If you raise or donate $25, you will receive a Walk to End Lupus Now t-shirt and gift bag filled with goodies.  There are additional fundraising prizes for $150 and $750.  You can also register at the walk.  
 
Lupus is a chronic autoimmune disease that affects an estimated 1.5 million Americans, more people than MS, cystic fibrosis, sickle cell anemia and leukemia combined! Yet most people know very little about lupus. In a person with lupus, their body's autoimmune system attacks healthy cells and tissue which can result in a variety of symptoms that range from mild symptoms like joint pain, hair loss and low-grade fever, to sometimes devastating symptoms like kidney failure, stroke and seizures.  90% of people with lupus are women, and it most often affects women of childbearing age – although it can affect any one at any time. Lupus is also more common in women of African American, Hispanic, Asian, and Native American descent than in Caucasian women.  There is no cure, no known cause, and no one test to diagnose lupus.  
 
The LFAU’s major programs include MAP, Medication Assistance Program which helps lupus patients pay for life-sustaining medications; HEAL, Health Education & Awareness of Lupus, a bimonthly educational program; and Social Butterflies, a monthly support group.  Social Butterflies now meets monthly in St. George to offer support to lupus patients, caregivers and loved ones.  The chapter has plans to expand the HEAL program to St. George in early 2015.  The MAP program is open to all patients throughout Utah.  
 
“My favorite event every year is the Walk to End Lupus Now. It’s the one day a year my family and friends get together to raise awareness and give back to the foundation that has supported me since my diagnosis.”
                                     Olivia, 16 years old, diagnosed at age 7
 
The walk is a positive, uplifting event that brings together people affected by lupus in our community, some who have never met another person with lupus.  The walk raises money to support and grow our programs of support, education, advocacy and research.  90% of the money raised at the walk (and all other LFAU events) stays here in Utah to support the chapter’s programs and services.  The other 10% of monies raised goes directly to research to help find new medications and a cure.
 
For more information, or to register visit www.utahlupus.org or call 1-800-857-6398
 

leverton

I have been involved with publishing and marketing for the past 32 years. I enjoy helping people find ways to share their voice. I have found ways to do this through the written word, articles and various media outlets. Area-Info.net is an avenue to help everyone have a voice who wants a voice. If you have questions about how you can have your voice heard, I would be happy to schedule a time to consult with you.

You May Also Like