Glendale, Ariz. – The Glendale Traffic Management Center is advising event attendees and drivers in the West Valley about special traffic controls in effect in the West Valley for the Sun Health Arizona Marathon on Sunday, February 19, 2017.
The full marathon race starts at 7 a.m. at the Vic Bar + Kitchen in Buckeye, continues through Goodyear and ends in Glendale at the Westgate Sports and Entertainment District.
Runners will pass through downtown Verrado and are expected to clear that portion of the course route by 7:45 a.m. Police officers and traffic control personnel will direct traffic in this area before and after the start of the race. Throughout the day, runners have the right-of-way and traffic will be held for a short time to allow marathon participants to pass unimpeded along the marathon routes.
EXPECT STREET/LANE CLOSURES & TRAFFIC INTERRUPTIONS!
One or more travel lanes will be closed and traffic cones and barriers may be placed at business and community entrances and/or exits along the length of the race course from 3 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., until the athletes complete each section of the course. Roadways will reopen as the last runner clears individual route segments. When possible, road closures may be lifted earlier then times listed below.
Full Marathon Race Starts in Buckeye
- 5 a.m. – 8:30: Main St. (between Market Place and Park St.), Park St. and Thayer St. are closed to traffic in both directions. Residents north of Main St., Park St. and Thayer St. may head south on feeder streets when runners are not on the course. Acacia Way (between Thayer St. and Indian School Rd.) will be closed. Lost Creek and Verrado Way may be used as alternate traffic routes.
- 3 a.m. – 9 a.m.: Indian School Rd. between Sunrise Ln. and Cotton Ln., including a portion of Loop 303/Indian School exit, will be closed to traffic in both directions.
- 3 a.m. – 1 p.m.: Westbound Glendale Ave. (outside lanes only) between Litchfield Rd and 99th Ave.
- 4 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.:
- Loop 101/Maryland Ave. exits closed
- 99th Ave.: Closed to traffic between Bethany Home Rd and Glendale Ave.
- Maryland Ave.: Closed to traffic between 99th Ave. and 95th Ave.
- 95th Ave.: Closed to traffic between Coyotes Blvd. and Maryland Ave. (Access Hampton Inn via 95th Ave only).
The 2017 Sun Health Arizona Marathon features full, half and relay fun run marathons with separate start lines and routes that converge on Luke Air Force Base. Runners will race down Glendale Ave. together to the finish line at the Westgate Sports and Entertainment District in Glendale. For more information about the Sun Health Arizona Marathon, visit www.thearizonamarathon.com.