Glendale, Ariz,– The funeral procession for Phoenix Fire Captain Crystal Rezzonico will make its way along a stretch of eastbound Loop 101 and southbound Interstate 17 on Tuesday afternoon.
Drivers in the area are asked to prepare for a closure of eastbound Loop 101 between 75th Ave. and I-17, which is scheduled to be in place by 12 p.m. Tuesday, according to the Arizona Department of Transportation. Drivers are urged to consider adjusting travel plans between 12 p.m. and 2 p.m. and to use alternate routes, including Bell Rd.
At the conclusion of a service at Christ’s Church of the Valley, 7007 W. Happy Valley Rd. in Peoria, 67th Ave. is scheduled to be closed in both directions between Happy Valley Rd. and Loop 101 while the procession is approaching and entering eastbound Loop 101, according to the city of Glendale.
The procession will use the eastbound Loop 101 on-ramp at 67th Ave. Eastbound Loop 101 will be closed between 75th Ave. and I-17 until the line of emergency and other vehicles makes its way onto southbound I-17.
The procession will continue south on I-17 to the McDowell Rd. exit. Vehicles will then go west on McDowell Rd. and south on 27th Ave. before entering Greenwood Memory Lawn Cemetery north of Van Buren St., where Capt. Rezzonico will be laid to rest.
Motorists can expect the following procession-related freeway closures to be in place at times Tuesday afternoon:
- Eastbound Loop 101 closed between 75th Avenue and I-17
- Southbound I-17 closed between Loop 101 and McDowell Road
- North- and eastbound Loop 101 on-ramps between Bell Road and I-17 closed
- Westbound Loop 101 off-ramp at 67th Avenue closed
- Westbound Loop 101 ramp to southbound I-17 closed
- Southbound I-17 on-ramps between Loop 101 and Thomas Road
- Southbound I-17 frontage road closed between Thomas and McDowell roads
Sections of the closed freeway and entrance ramps will reopen as soon as possible after the procession has passed.