African-American Community Center and Golf Club Established to Counter
The New York
State Board for Historic Preservation has recommended adding 28 varied
properties to the State and National Registers of Historic Places, including an
African American community center, industrialist Andrew Carnegie’s legacy of
New York City libraries, a Hudson Valley golf club established to counter
anti-Semitism, and a Catskill site linked to the early history of professional
nominations reflect the incredible diversity of our state, its people, and
their stories,” said Erik Kulleseid, Commissioner of the Office of
Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. “Many people have worked
over the years to preserve these places, and securing this recognition will
help us to protect and appreciate New York’s fascinating history.”
National Registers listing can assist owners in revitalizing properties,
making them eligible for various public preservation programs and services,
such as matching state grants and state and federal historic rehabilitation
latest nominations continue the Division for Historic Preservation’s (DHP)
commitment to designating and supporting historic sites that represent the
histories of our State’s diverse population,” said Daniel Mackay, Deputy
Commissioner for Historic Preservation at State Parks.
register designations have included African American burial grounds,
archeological sites associated with free black communities, and ethnically
diverse neighborhoods such as Chinatown, Little Italy, and East Harlem as
well as the Dorrance Brooks Square Historic District in Harlem and the Crown
Heights and Bedford Historic Districts in Brooklyn.
earlier listings of Sag Harbor Hills, Azurest, and Ninevah Beach Subdivisions
Historic District and the Hamlin Park Historic Districts highlight historic
African American neighborhoods in Sag Harbor and Buffalo respectively.
years, the DHP has received three Unrepresented Communities Grant from the
National Park Service to support the NYC LGBTQ Historic Sites Project in New
York City. This has resulted in New York leading the nation in listing
of sites associated with LGBTQ+ History on the State and National Register.
DHP was also
awarded a Underrepresented Communities grant to undertake a survey of
historic Puerto Rican casitas in New York City. The National Park
Service recently also awarded DHP an African American Civil Rights grant to
study a 20th Century civil rights site in western New York, a
project that will likely expand to other Upstate counties.
cooperation with local and regional preservation advocacy organizations, the
DHP is studying Buffalo’s traditionally African American eastside
neighborhoods and LGBTQ+ sites in Rochester. Both these studies will likely
lead to additional State and National Register listings.
The DHP also
is advancing designations associated with the role that women have played in
shaping our state, from the Suffrage Movement to Women’s Liberation.
approved management plans and provides support to the Michigan Street
Heritage Area, which includes the State and National Register listings of the
Michigan Street Baptist Church, the home of civil rights leader Rev. J.
Edward Nash, and the Colored Musician’s Club in Buffalo, a union hall for
African American musicians denied representation by established unions in
western New York.
Governor signed legislation to bolster the state’s use of rehabilitation tax
credits in 2013, the state and federal program has spurred investment of
billions of dollars in completed rehabilitations of historic commercial
properties and tens of millions invested in owner-occupied historic homes.
and National Registers are the official lists of buildings, structures,
districts, landscapes, objects, and sites significant in the history,
architecture, archaeology and culture of New York State and the nation. There
are more than 120,000 historic properties throughout the state listed on the
National Register of Historic Places, individually or as components of
historic districts. Property owners, municipalities and organizations from
communities throughout the state sponsored the nominations.
recommendations are approved by the Commissioner, who serves as the State
Historic Preservation Officer, the properties are listed on the New York
State Register of Historic Places and then nominated to the National Register
of Historic Places, where they are reviewed and, once approved, entered on
the National Register.
information, with photos of the nominations, is available on the Office of
Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation website https://parks.ny.gov/shpo/national-register/nominations.aspx
Washington Carver Community Center, Schenectady, Schenectady County – Opened
in 1970s, this community center in the city’s Hamilton Hill neighborhood
represents a successful effort by the African American community to provide
community-based resources. The construction of the building is rooted in the
African American self-help movement that originated in the city in the 1930s.
Biscuit Company Complex, Albany, Albany County – Dating from the late 19th
century, the former factory represents the growth of the baking industry and
the merger of various companies that created the New York Biscuit Company and
later the National Biscuit Company, which was subsequently renamed as
Barnet & Son Shoddy Mill, Rensselaer, Rensselaer County – This former
textile recycling mill dates to the early 20th century and
occupies about six acres along the Hudson River shoreline. Closed in 1976 as
the industry shifted to southern states, the facility represents an important
architectural record of the textile industry in the upper Hudson Valley.
Central New York
Cream Corporation Factory, Syracuse, Onondaga County – Home to the “Fro-Joy”
brand, which later became “Sealtest”, this historic factory dates to early 20th
century and includes Art Deco architectural design elements of a locally
produced cast-stone product called Onondaga Litholite.
Engine House, Morrisville, Madison County – Now a museum, this restored
two-story former fire station dates to 1853 and reflects the Greek Revival
architectural style. It still contains its original bell.
Apartment Building, Syracuse, Onondaga County – Built in 1910, this
four-story, 12-unit apartment building was unusual for its time because it
was built with fewer units and aimed at affluent middle-class tenants. Still
in operation, the renovated and expanded Sylvester helped usher in an era
where apartment living in cities became widely accepted by the middle class.
Corsets, Inc. Factory, Canandaigua, Ontario County – Currently vacant, this
factory was built in 1920 as part of the nation’s largest manufacturer of
ladies’ corsets. During World War II, the plant was converted to make
parachutes for bombs and signal flares.
Methodist Episcopal Church, Hauppauge, Suffolk County – Established in 1809,
the church is the oldest surviving religious building in the hamlet of
Smithtown and includes an historic cemetery that contains founders of the
Estate Historic District, Locust Valley, Nassau County – Encompassing three
dozen buildings across 76 acres on Long Island’s “Gold Coast,” this area
surrounds a historic former estate that reflects two successive generations
of the same family over the early- to mid-20th century.
Farm, Montgomery, Orange County – This 30-acre farm started by the Colden
family dates to the early 18th century, and includes a residence
built circa 1800 and various farm buildings. During the Revolutionary War,
the Coldens were prominent Loyalists, but were able to retain ownership of
their land after the war.
Golf Club, Scarsdale, Westchester County – Dating from 1914, this Jacobethan
Revival-style clubhouse has a course created by renowned designer Albert
Warren Tillinghast. The club reflects efforts by Jewish Americans to create
their own golf clubs after anti-Semitic prejudice at the time precluded them
from joining established clubs.
Homestead, Lagrangeville, Dutchess County – Dating to the early-19th
century, this residence reflects the history of a family of Palatine German
immigrants in the Hudson Valley.
Cemetery, Bear Market, Dutchess County – Dating to the late 18th
century, this small cemetery contains founding community members and veterans
from the Revolutionary War, War of 1812, and the Civil War.
and Mohawk Valley Cotton Mill, Utica, Oneida County – This intact mid-19th
century urban industrial textile mill reflects the economic development
spurred by the Erie and Chenango canals. It contains five separate mill
buildings built between 1847 and 1905. A portion of the complex is now used
for apartments, offices and a bookbinding operation.
New York City
Libraries of New York City – In 1901, industrialist Andrew Carnegie gave the
city $5.2 million to build libraries throughout the city’s five boroughs. His
largest philanthropic gift to a single city, that funding resulted in
construction of 67 libraries during the next three decades. Fifty-two of
those libraries remain in use today.
Voelcker House, Queens – Dating to 1891, this ornate Queen Anne-style
residence was the home of Conrad Voelcker, a German immigrant who published a
number of German-American newspapers in the United States up until World War
Public Library/Fort Washington Branch, Manhattan – Built in the Italian
Renaissance Revival style in 1914, the library is among the libraries endowed
to the city by industrialist Andrew Carnegie.
Protestant Episcopal Church, Manhattan – The Gothic-style church dates to
1914, and reflects the growth of the Washington Heights neighborhood in the
20th century as part of the expansion of subway lines. Currently,
the church also serves as a community center in its predominantly-Lantinex
V. Santini Inc. Warehouse, Bronx – The warehouse was built in 1929 for the
Santini company, a family-owned business specializing in warehousing,
storage, moving and shipping. The warehouse reflects the history of commerce
and trade in The Bronx. The building is being converted into a homeless
Methodist Episcopal Church, Cedar Lake, Herkimer County – In continuous use
since its construction in 1862, the Greek Revival-style church retains its
historic features, including a bell cast in Baltimore bearing the inscription
“Let Us All Come to Worship.”
Baptist Church, Hague, Warren County – This historic church and parsonage,
dating to 1912 in this longtime resort village on Lake George, reflect both
Gothic and Bungalow styles as an intact example of rustic architecture used
in the Adirondacks during the early 20th century.
Country Club, Keene, Essex County – Located in the heart of the Adirondack
High Peaks, this club has been running since 1902 along the east branch of
the Ausable River.
Farm (Colonel Aaron North House), Essex, Essex County – Built in the early 19th
century, this timber-framed dwelling represents several families who settled
in the Champlain Valley during the post-Revolutionary War periodof.
St. Regis Presbyterian Church, Keeses Mill, Franklin County – Set along Lower
St. Regis Lake in the Adirondacks, this former Tudor Revival-style church
that was built in 1899 reflects rustic Adirondack-inspired Craftsman features
incorporated by architect William L. Coulter. Prominent Adirondack developer
and hotelier Paul Smith donated the land for the church, which was financed
by summer residents living nearby.
Athletic Club Grounds, Fleischmanns, Delaware County – This baseball field in
this small village opened in 1895 as the home diamond of the Mountain
Athletic Club, a private team for the wealthy owners of the Fleischmann Yeast
Company of Cincinnati, Ohio. Over the next two decades, the team drew
thousands of spectators as it fielded an impressive mix of collegiate
players, minor league stars, and future and former major leaguers. The
Cincinnati Red used the field for pre-season training during that era.
Western New York
Heights Historic District, Jamestown, Chautauqua County – Spread across a
ten-street area, this neighborhood reflects a range of architectural styles
representing the 1840s to the late 1930s as the city grew and prospered.
Bank of Buffalo, Buffalo, Erie County – Reflecting the 1920s “Sullivanesque”
style of architecture common in the Midwest, this small, former
neighborhood bank building retains nearly all of its original features.
Estate Historic District, North Tonawanda, Niagara County – An area
containing more than 470 buildings represent a distinctive intact example of
a residential suburban-style subdivision that developed between 1849 and
State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation oversees more
than 250 individual parks, historic sites, recreational trails and boat
launches, which were visited by a record 77 million people in 2019. A recent
university study found that spending by State Parks and its visitors supports
$5 billion in output and sales, 54,000 private-sector jobs and more than $2.8
billion in additional state GDP. For more information on any of these
recreation areas, call 518-474-0456 or visit parks.ny.gov, connect on Facebook, or follow us