- Texas is No. 1 for pool drowning deaths.
- Tarrant County is among the top three in Texas for total and per capita childhood drowning deaths.
- 60 percent of children who drown in backyard pools are Anglo and under 4 years old.
- For children, drowning is the second leading cause of accidental death.
- For adults, drowning is the fifth leading cause of accidental death.
- 70 percent of African American children, 60 percent of Latino children and 40 percent of Caucasian children have low or no swimming ability.
To help educate Fort Worth residents on water safety, the Fort Worth Drowning Prevention Coalition, of which the Fort Worth Fire Department is a member, is sponsoring these upcoming Safe Swim programs:
- May 15-18 and May 22-26, 6:45 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. sessions at the Amon G. Carter Jr. Downtown YMCA, 512 Lamar St.
- June 5-8 and June 12-15, 6:30 p.m. and 7:15 p.m. sessions at Forest Park Pool, 2850 Park Place.
- June 19-22 and June 26-29, 6:30 p.m. and 7:15 p.m. sessions at Marine Creek Pool, 303 N.W. 20th St.
- July 10-13 and July 17-20, 6:30 p.m. and 7:15 p.m. sessions at Eastside YMCA, 1500 Sandy Lane.
Class fee is $5 per student. Register.
If you would like a Fire Department representative to speak with your group or community association, contact Starrett Keele at 817-392-6861.
38total visits,1visits today