Governor JB Pritzker’s Executive Order 2020-07, issued on March 16, 2020 prohibits the gathering of 50 people or more in a single room or single space at the same time. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends gatherings of no more than 10 people in a single room or single space and social distancing of at least 6 feet between persons. Mayor Ardis declared a local State of Emergency on March 19, 2020 and has closed City Hall to the public to help prevent the spread of COVID-19. To comply with these recommendations and requirements, the City is implementing the following changes and restrictions for the Council Meeting on March 24, 2020 while complying with the spirit of the Open Meetings Act:
- The regularly scheduled City Council meeting scheduled for March 24, 2020 at 6:00 p.m. will continue as
- Only five City Council members and the Mayor will attend in person, with social distancing guidelines
- Five members of the City Council will attend via
- The public will not be able to physically enter the building for the City Council meeting. The meeting will be available as a live-stream on the City’s website at org.
- Anyone wishing to make a public comment can do so by sending those to City Clerk, Beth Ball by 12:00 p.m. on March 24, 2020. Public comments can be forwarded to the City Clerk, in writing at [email protected] or via fax at 309-494-8574. The email or fax should be labeled “Public Comment for the March 24, 2020 meeting” and we ask that you include your name and
- All submissions received prior to the deadline by the public will be read into the record with up to five (5) minutes of each comment read aloud. The written comments, in their entirety, will be entered into the official minutes of the meeting as an
- Media, if they meet the appropriate screening criteria for health status, will be allowed to enter City Hall but will not be allowed to access the Council Chambers. Up to 10 members of the media will be allowed to Room 404 of City Hall, with a live stream available to watch in the room. If more than 10 members of the media appear for the meeting, only the first 10 will be allowed access in order to comply with the CDC guidelines in Room 404. Media will be allowed to conduct interviews after the City Council Meeting in the hallway outside City Council Chambers keeping the social distancing recommendation of 6′.
- The agenda, minutes and a video podcast of the meeting will be available online at http://www.peoriagov.org/city-counciVmeetings/.