Samples Confirm Water Safe to Drink
Translated material follows this release below and available at www.burlingtonvt.gov/dpw/boil-water-advisory
Burlington, VT – The precautionary boil water advisory, issued 2/15/2020 at approximately 2:30PM, for the low service water system in Burlington and limited parts of South Burlington has been lifted. Sample results have confirmed that it is safe to use the water. There are no active boil water advisories. Outside of the special sampling taken to lift the advisory, drinking water is also tested throughout the day at the drinking water plant and weekly throughout the distribution system.
BACKGROUND ON THIS WATER MAIN BREAK & BURLINGTON’S PROACTIVE EFFORTS TO REINVEST
Issuance of this precautionary advisory was the result of a large water main break on the 16” transmission line that crosses under 339 Pine St. The size of the pipe and the size of the break, combined with location of this pipe (at a lower elevation in the system) resulted in a pressure drop across a widespread area of our system.
While we have undertaken a major effort over the last 3 years to reline/replace miles of water mains before they break, this event underscores the challenge of inherited, aging infrastructure and the need to continue our infrastructure reinvestment. We have another year of active water main rehab work planned for summer 2020.
BACKGROUND ON BOIL WATER ADVISORIES
These boil water advisories are, in part, due to a recent change in state requirements mandating that precautionary advisories be issued when such depressurizations occur and that confirmatory sampling is required to lift them. We have protocols in place (maintenance of positive pressure during break repair) to reduce the likelihood of needing to issue a boil water under most water break conditions. However, until we were able to isolate this particular break around 4PM on 2/15/20, we were not able to maintain system pressures, resulting in the advisory.
HOW TO FIND INFORMATION DURING URGENT EVENTS
● We are using VT-Alert to send major urgent announcements which allows us to send robocalls to landlines and robocalls to VT-Alert registered cell phones/landlines; and text/emails to VT-Alert registered users. We encourage you to sign up at www.burlingtonvt.gov/btv-alerts.
● In addition to VT-Alert, during urgent events, we keep the www.burlingtonvt.gov website and our social media channels updated.
● The Water Resources phone # is always staffed 24/7 at 802-863-4501
● We disseminate informational releases through news media and Front Porch Forum.
● Real-time questions are often able to be answered on social media and at the Water Resources #.
● We have a series of translated materials that we have shared on Facebook and at www.burlingtonvt.gov/dpw/boil-water-advisory. We encourage you to help us disseminate this to anyone who may be limited English proficient speakers.
● You can always call Water Resources at Public Works 24/7 for urgent drinking water questions at 802-863-4501. Non-urgent questions can also be directed to water-resources.
SOMALI TRANSLATION – PRECAUTIONARY BOIL WATER ADVISORY LIFTED
La talinta biyo karkarinta Burlington waa laga qaaday. Waa aamin in biyaha la cabbo. Natiijooyinka baaritaanka waa iska caadi. Waad na soo wici kartaa 24/7 su’aalaha biyaha la cabbo ee degdega ah 802-863-4501. Su’aalaha aan degdega ahayn waxaa sidoo kale loo gudbin karaa water-resources.
FRENCH TRANSLATION – PRECAUTIONARY BOIL WATER ADIVSORY LIFTED
L’avis d’ébullition d’eau à Burlington est levé. Il est sécuritaire de boire de l’eau. Les résultats du test sont normaux. Vous pouvez nous appeler 24h / 24 et 7j / 7 pour toute question urgente sur l’eau potable au 802-863-4501. Les questions non urgentes peuvent également être adressées à water-resources.
SWAHILI TRANSLATION – PRECAUTIONARY BOIL WATER ADVISORY LIFTED
Ushauri wa maji hapa Burlington umeinuliwa. Ni salama kunywa maji. Vipimo vipo kawaida. Kwa maswali yote ya haraka kuhusu maji, unaweza kutupigia ku namba 802-863-4501. Kwa maswali yote yasiyokuwa ya haraka unaweza kutuma ku water-resources
NEPALI TRANSLATION – PRECAUTIONARY BOIL WATER ADVISORY LIFTED