Nominations are due December 1 for the 40th annual Mayor’s Arts Awards presented by the Lincoln Arts Council (LAC). The event has been held in June in recent years, but the 2018 date for the celebration is Tuesday, May 1. For the second year, the event will be held at Pinnacle Bank Arena.
“2018 is also the 50th anniversary of the Lincoln Arts Council, an agency that has helped to make this a great community,” said Mayor Chris Beutler. “The Mayor’s Arts Awards in May is our opportunity to thank the Arts Council, to honor the contributions of the award winners and to celebrate the outstanding arts and culture we enjoy in the Capital City.”
- The Outstanding Arts Organization Award recognizes an arts group that has made significant contributions to Lincoln’s arts community over a period of years.
- The Artistic Achievement Award – Visual Arts recognizes excellence and accomplishment in any of the visual arts, including theatre and film.
- The Artistic Achievement Award – Youth recognizes excellence and accomplishment in any arts discipline by a young person age 18 or younger.
- The Artistic Achievement Award – Performing Arts recognizes excellence and accomplishment in any of the performing arts, including film.
- The Artistic Achievement Award – Literary Arts recognizes excellence and accomplishment in any literary form.
- The Gladys Lux Education Award recognizes special initiatives in or dedication to arts education.
- The Legacy of the Arts Award recognizes an individual age 55 and up actively involved in creating, teaching, sharing or inspiring artistic expression in any discipline.
- The Heart of the Arts Award recognizes an individual or organization for outstanding volunteer dedication to the arts or for making a major overall impact on the arts in Lincoln.
- The ArtScene Backstage Award recognizes extraordinary service to the arts through behind-the-scenes efforts.
- The Outstanding Event Award recognizes a performance, exhibition or project in the previous year (2017) that will be notable in the community memory for years to come because of its content or cultural significance.
- The Benefactor of the Arts Award honors an individual, family, organization or business making significant financial contributions to the arts.
- The Arts for Kids Award honors an individual or organization from outside the arts professions whose leadership has enhanced arts activities and experiences for children.
Nominators are asked to select a category or categories they feel would be most appropriate for their nominees, but the judges may consider the nominee for other categories as well. Nomination forms from the previous year are automatically resubmitted, and updates are accepted. A list of previous winners is available by contacting the LAC at 402-434-2787.
The public is encouraged to submit names of members of the arts community who have died since the last awards ceremony in June 2017 for memorial recognition.
Those interested in sponsorships for the event may contact the LAC at 402-434-2787.