Registration For Before- And After-School Enrichment Programs For 2017-2018 School Year Begins July 24
Registration for Safekey and Ignite, before- and after-school programs for youth in kindergarten through middle school, begins July 24, and affords students the opportunity to learn beyond the bell.
Safekey is a youth enrichment program that is offered at 70 Clark County School District elementary schools within the city of Las Vegas. Ignite is a similar program for teens that is housed in six middle schools in the city.
There is an annual $20 registration fee per child for these programs. Registration and enrollment forms can be completed at the Safekey Office, located at 416 N. Seventh St., the Safekey or Ignite program office at the school your child attends, and the below back-to-school events:
- July 28, 7 p.m., Ward 1 Back-to-School Fair and Movie in the Park, West Charleston Lions/Essex Circle Park, 600 Essex Circle;
- July 29, 10 a.m.-4 p.m., Cox Back-to-School Fair, Boulevard Mall, 3528 Maryland Parkway;
- July 29, 6:30 p.m., Ward 6 Back-to-School Fair, Centennial Hills Park, 7101 N. Buffalo Drive;
- Aug. 5, 10 a.m.-4 p.m., Back-to-School Fair, Meadows Mall, 4300 Meadows Lane;
- Aug. 11, 7 p.m., Ward 4 Back-to-School Fair and Movie in the Park, Durango Hills Park, 3521 N. Durango Drive;
- Aug. 12, 8-11 a.m., Ward 5 Back-to-School Fair, Lorenzi Park, 3333 W. Washington Ave.;
- Aug. 12, 10 a.m.-4 p.m., Back-to-School Fair, Downtown Summerlin, 1980 Festival Plaza Drive;
- Aug. 12, 10 a.m.-noon, Dula Gymnasium Back-to-School Fair, 441 E. Bonanza Road.
Safekey provides a safe environment where children in kindergarten through fifth grade can receive homework assistance, have a nutritious afternoon snack, and participate in physical fitness, nutrition education, arts and crafts, music and drama, reading time, games, special events and literacy programming. This year STEAM curriculum (science, technology, engineering, art & design and math) will be added to the program.
Ignite provides social, civic, educational and recreational programs in a positive environment, teaching responsibility and leadership and promoting individual self-esteem.
Payments can be made one of two ways once the child is registered:
- Online at www.lasvegasnevada.gov/safekey, beginning July 24.
- In person at the Safekey office, beginning July 24; office hours are Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Safekey and Ignite operate as pre-paid programs; participants must have a valid pass before they can attend. Any child without a valid pass will be sent to the school’s office for parent pick-up. For financial assistance or for other questions, please contact the Safekey office at 702-229-KIDS (5437) or visit www.lasvegasnevada.gov/safekey. Safekey and Ignite follow the school district calendar and operate on days that school is in session.