Latest figures from the National Partnership for Women and Families show women in Arizona lose $13 billion from unfair pay.

Equal Pay Day, the date that symbolizes how far into the year women must work to earn what men earned in the previous year, is April 10, 2018. Central Phoenix/Inez Casiano NOW is hosting a press conference to commemorate the City of Phoenix proclamation and urge action to eliminate this economic harm to Arizona women and families.

The press conference will be Tuesday, April 10, 8:30 a.m., City Hall, 200 W. Washington in the atrium. Mayor Stanton will present the 2018 equal pay proclamation. Speakers include City Council member Kate Gallegos; Stephanie Vasquez, owner of Fair Trade Cafés; State Representative Athena Salman; and Nelexia Galloway from Young Black Professionals. Women will be wearing red to illustrate that women remain "in the red" for over three months because of discrimination in pay.

In Arizona in the 2017 report, median annual pay for a woman who holds a full-time, year-round job is $37,084 while median annual pay for a man who holds a full-time, year-round job is $44,421. This means that women in Arizona are paid 83 cents for every dollar paid to men, amounting to an annual wage gap of $7,337.

The wage gap can be even larger for women of color. Among Arizona women who hold full-time, year-round jobs, Black women are paid 68 cents, Latinas are paid 55 cents and Asian women are paid 80 cents for every dollar paid to white, non-Hispanic men. Native Americans are paid even less.

If the annual wage gap were eliminated, on average, a working woman in Arizona would have enough money for: More than 11 additional months of child care; nearly one additional year of tuition and fees for a four-year public university, approximately 49 more weeks of food for her family; 5.6 more months of mortgage and utilities payments; or nearly eight more months of rent.

In Arizona, more than 307,000 family households are headed by women. About 31 percent of those families, or 95,062 family households, have incomes that fall below the poverty level. Eliminating the wage gap would provide much-needed income to women whose wages sustain their households.

The wage gap persists regardless of industry, occupation, and education level. Statistical analysis shows that 62 percent of the wage gap can be attributed to occupational and industry differences; differences in experience and education; and factors such as race, region and unionization. That leaves 38 percent of the gap unaccounted for, leading researchers to conclude that factors such as discrimination and unconscious bias continue to affect women’s wages. For women of color, they face double discrimination on race and sex.
Policies that would help, include: protections that help identify and challenge discriminatory pay and employment practices and address gender-based occupational segregation; minimum wage increases; family friendly workplace supports like paid family and medical leave and paid sick days; affordable child care; and access to affordable and comprehensive reproductive health care.

Cupcakes will be for sale at the event for $1.00 to men and $.80 to women since fairness dictates women should pay less since they are paid less.


I have been involved with publishing and marketing for the past 32 years. My passion is helping people share their voice. I am able to do this through two important venues: One, with Area-Info.net where people can share everything from opinions to events to news. It is your choice! What do you want to share? Two, through a new program called America's Real Deal I am involved with to help business owners get their voice heard.I schedule speaking engagements with community groups and business groups to share my passion about the importance of "sharing your voice".Contact me directly at lee@leeeverton.com for scheduling information.

You May Also Like