Annual Festival Will Feature Best-Selling Authors, Panel Discussions And Events For All Ages
LAS VEGAS – Sept. 28, 2017 – The 16th Annual Las Vegas Book Festival, set to return to downtown Las Vegas Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017, at the Historic Fifth Street School, located at 401 S. Fourth St, will feature best-selling authors, panel discussions and activities for those of all ages.
In addition to previously announced keynote speakers Daniel Handler and Sharon Draper, more than 25 panel discussions are scheduled on topics that cover trends and issues in literature. Highlights include:
- Triple Consciousness: To Be Young, Gifted and Black Women Writing with Brit Bennet, Zinzi Clemmons and Nicole Dennis-Benn.
- Identity Isn’t Everything with authors who write LGBTQIA+ characters such as Audrey Coulthurst, Erin Finnegan, Jeff Garvin, C.B. Lee, Benjamin Alire Sáenz and Dashka Slater.
- Writing in the Age of Trump with Mickey Kaus, Virginia Heffernan and Walter Kirn; moderated by Steve Sebelius.
- Las Vegas Myths & Mysteries with Michael Green, George Knapp, Paul Papa and Cathy Scott; moderated by Geoff Schumacher.
Other notable panelists include:
- Contenders for The National Book Awards longlist Kevin Young, Mitali Perkins and Ibi Zoboi;
- Wesley Lowery with The Washington Post.
Two tents, Imagination and Discovery, will be programmed with readings by children’s literature authors, including Elizabeth Singer Hunt, Grace Lin, Matt de la Peña, Justin Roberts and Judy Schachner. The Poetry Pavilion will feature poets from all over Clark County. The festival also will feature exhibits, food trucks and nighttime events.
For the full schedule, visit www.lasvegasbookfestival.org.
About the Las Vegas Book Festival
Previously known as the Vegas Valley Book Festival, the Las Vegas Book Festival is the largest literary event in Nevada.
This annual celebration of the written, spoken and illustrated word is free and open to the public. It is sponsored by a collaboration of local public sector and nonprofit partners, including:
- presenting sponsors the city of Las Vegas, Las Vegas-Clark County Library District, Las Vegas-Clark County Library District Foundation, Inc. and Nevada Humanities;
- media sponsors Las Vegas Review-Journal, Las Vegas Sun, KSNV-TV Channel 3, KVCW-TV (the CW), CBS Broadcasting – Mix 94.1, KLUC 98.5, Q100.5,KXNT, 107.5. and Vegas PBS;
- gold sponsors United Healthcare and Black Mountain Institute;
- silver sponsor NV Energy;
- and diversity sponsor MGM Resorts International.
For information on hotel room reservation blocks, volunteering, author appearances, the festival schedule and much more, please visit lasvegasbookfestival.org or call 702-229-ARTS (2787). Keep up with festival news on Facebook and Twitter (#VegasBookFest).