The tippy-tap is a simple hand-washing device that allows you to wash your hands with a very little amount of water. Whether you are near home or out in the wild cleanliness is vital for long-term health. When disasters hit or you??ª?re just going camping make a tippy-tap to be ready.
If you??ª?ve had the change to travel around the world you??ª?ll recognize the blessing of clean water. But in a long-term disaster that luxury will be lost. To compound things, since we take clean water for granted, we don??ª?t dwell on sanitation issues and how quickly decease and death can occur. Next to shelter, clean water and sanitation are the most important items to survival. Versions of the tippy-tap have saved countless lives in third-world countries. And you can help your situation with only a little preparation and next to no money.
There are two options to using the tippy-tap.
1. Squeeze the tippy-tap with one hand and catch the dripping in the other. Then lather with sock of soap. Repeat to rinse.
2. Loosen the cap to start low-flow of water to begin hand-washing process.
How-to Make A Tippy-tap
1. Gather items and clean bottle.
2. Make a small hole, width of the pen tube, with a heated wire. Don??ª?t make it too big. Insert the pen tube.
3. Fill bottle with water and tighten the cap. NOTE: When cap is tight water doesn??ª?t flow. When cap is loosened water begins to flow.
4. Put bar of soap in the sock/nylon. Tie one end to rope and let hang near bottle. Tie center of rope to support rod. Tie other end of rope to 2-liter bottle.
Another non-chemical source of water purification is lemon essential oil
Source: Hesperian.org Water & Sanitation guide.
Link to .pdf of how to guide.