Stay safe from theft, fire and frozen pipes during the holidays.
- When you leave the house: be extra cautious to lock all doors and windows; use an alarm system if possible; make sure valuables are not easily visible from outside; only ask trusted people to watch your home when you’re away.
- You can also request a vacation watch through http://bit.ly/vacationwatchSandy
- When you leave your car: park in well-lighted spaces, lock up, and take your valuables with you.
- When you’re in public: stay alert, shop with friends or family, and be cautious of your purse or wallet. It’s best to keep them zipped and close to your body.
- When using social media: don’t check-in while you are traveling, because it lets criminals know when you are away from your house.
- Do not leave your holiday cooking unattended and keep a lid nearby to smother small grease fires if necessary.
- Keep candles at least a foot away from flammable items or items that can burn and blow out candles when you leave the room or go to bed.
- If you are buying an artificial Christmas tree, make sure it’s labeled as fire-retardant.
- If you choose a fresh tree, make sure it’s not too dry, cut the base 2” up from the bottom, and water it daily.
- Make sure your tree is not blocking any exits, and is at least three feet away from any heat source such as fireplaces, space heaters, radiators, candles, heat vents, or lights.
- Turn off Christmas tree lights before leaving the home or going to bed.
From Frozen Pipes
- Keep the heat in your home above 50 degrees.
- When it’s especially cold, leave your cabinets open to allow warm air to reach the pipes.
- Keep interior doors open to ensure heat can flow through the home.
- Allow your faucets to drip slightly to ensure water continues running.
- Caulk any holes or cracks near pipes.
- Add extra insulation around pipes in areas that may not be properly insulated, such as basements or attics.
- Protect your water heater against the cold.
- Keep outside doors and the garage door closed.
- Keep water stored in case it becomes necessary to turn off the water supply to your home.