The Hammer Museum announced today this year’s selections for MoMA Contenders 2018, a special ticketed series organized by The Museum of Modern Art that offers audiences unique opportunities to see recently released films that are destined to become classics just before awards season, followed by intimate and revealing post-screening conversations with directors and actors. Now in its fifth year at the Hammer, MoMA Contenders 2018 features 10 nights of groundbreaking filmmaking from December 3 through December 18, 2018.
Opening the series at the Hammer on December 3 is Cold War directed by Pawel Pawlikowski, who will be a part of a discussion following the screening. A passionate 1950s love story between two fatefully mismatched people shot in dramatic black-and-white, “Cold War” won the best director prize at Cannes. Other highlights include Widows with director Steve McQueen on December 5, Can You Ever Forgive Me? with Melissa McCarthy on December 17, and Sorry to Bother You with director Boots Riley on December 18.
- Monday, December 3, 7:30 p.m., Cold War with Pawel Pawlikowski
- Tuesday, December 4, 7:30 p.m., Black Panther
- Wednesday, December 5, 7:30 p.m., Widows with Steve McQueen
- Thursday, December 6, 7:30 p.m., Free Solo with Jimmy Chin and Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi
- Monday, December 10, 7:30 p.m., Bisbee ’17 with Robert Greene
- Tuesday, December 11, 7:30 p.m., The Front Runner with Jason Reitman
- Wednesday, December 12, 7:30 p.m., Roma
- Thursday, December 13, 7:30 p.m., The Hate U Give with George Tillman Jr. and Amandla Stenberg
- Monday, December 17, 7:30 p.m., Can You Ever Forgive Me? with Melissa McCarthy
- Tuesday, December 18, 7:30 p.m., Sorry to Bother You with Boots Riley
Tickets $20 general public / $10 for Hammer members.
There will be a special members pre-sale from November 14-18. Join or upgrade today.
Beginning November 19, tickets will be available to the public online.
About The Contenders:
Selected from major studio releases and top film festivals by curators in MoMA’s Department of Film, selections shown in The Contenders represent the best of mainstream movies, independents, foreign- language films, documentaries, and art-house sensations. Now in its eleventh year, the series highlights films that are contenders for lasting historical significance, often with special appearances by directors and actors. Previous guests have included directors Jordan Peele (Get Out, 2017), Greta Gerwig (Lady Bird, 2017), David O. Russell (Silver Linings Playbook, 2012) and Werner Herzog (Into the Inferno, 2016) and actors Jake Gyllenhaal (Prisoners, 2013), Jonah Hill (The Wolf of Wall Street, 2013), and Kristen Wiig (Bridesmaids, 2011).
MoMA Contenders 2018 is organized by The Museum of Modern Art, New York. This film program is organized by Rajendra Roy, the Celeste Bartos Chief Curator of Film, and Sean Egan, Senior Producer, Film Exhibitions and Projects, The Museum of Modern Art, New York.
The Hammer Museum’s presentation is made possible by The Billy and Audrey L. Wilder Foundation.