Nino Schurter suffered two mechanicals in the UCI Mountain Bike World Cup cross-country stop in Mont-Sainte-Anne, however battled back for seventh spot to claim his sixth overall crown as Jolanda Neff excelled in the women’s race. Here is all you need to know:
– Swiss star Schurter came into the most gruelling race of the 2018 calendar looking to seal a sixth XCO crown, however he was under pressure from the start.
– He battled back to look comfortable, but a broken chain and then a rear flat tyre meant he could only finish seventh which was still enough for a sixth title.
– Schurter, 32, revealed: "Super stressful from the beginning. I broke my chain and I am still happy with my performance. Big challenge now with young, new riders pushing hard."
– Up front, his compatriot Mathias Flueckiger captured his maiden victory after Kiwi Anton Cooper crashed on the last lap with Italian Gerhard Kerschbaumer and France’s Titouan Carod rounding out the top three.
– Flueckiger, 29, said: "I am so happy. So much bad luck before. It is something special as I won the U23 world title here in 2010. I hope Anton is OK."
– World champion Neff rode superbly in the heat to record her third Mont-Sainte-Anne win, just days after European Championship XCO gold in Scotland.
– Denmark’s Annika Langvad held off home hero Emily Batty for second with the title going down to the final La Bresse race as Neff holds a 142-point lead seeking her third overall crown after 2014 and 2015 wins.
– Neff, 25, said: "It still feels like a dream this week. In the third lap, I was done. I had to tell myself to slow down as the heat was so extreme. The last two times I won here, I won overall too."
– Langvad, 34, added: "I struggled so badly on the climbs. It doesn’t change much for La Bresse. Race for the victory. Go into it with a clear mind and do my best."
Women’s cross-country result:
1. Jolanda Neff SUI 1:29:27
2. Annika Langvad DEN +1.52
3. Emily Batty CAN +2.06
Women’s overall cross-country standings:
1. Jolanda Neff SUI 1600 points
2. Annika Langvad DEN 1458
3. Maja Wloszczowska POL 1077
Men’s cross-country result:
1. Mathias Flueckiger SUI 1:27:26
2. Gerhard Kerschbaumer ITA +0.15
3. Titouan Carod FRA +0.23
Men’s overall cross-country standings:
1. Nino Schurter SUI 1546 points
2. Mathieu van der Poel NED 1080
3. Henrique Avancini BRA 1061
Watch all the UCI MTB World Cup on Red Bull TV HERE.