It is legal to shoot fireworks in KCK between July 2 and July 4. Fireworks may be discharged between 9:00 am and 11:00 pm.
It is illegal to shoot fireworks from, on or under a vehicle. It is illegal to shoot fireworks on any public road, alley or sidewalk, within 150 feet of a fireworks stand or within 100 feet of a gas station.
The Kansas City Kansas Fire Department urges citizens to be careful when using them and recommends these safety tips.
- Purchase fireworks from reliable sources.
- Have a responsible adult in charge, especially when children are around.
- Prepare a safe environment outdoors for shooting off fireworks. Areas should be clear of combustible materials such as dry grass and wood.
- Have water readily available such as a garden or hose or water bucket.
- Never position your body over the fireworks while lighting them.
- Do not shoot or point fireworks at people or animals.