Fireworks caused a brush fire that burned 2 acres near Meadows Boulevard and Cherokee Drive Thursday night, investigators have determined.
Firefighters quickly contained the fire, which broke out about 9:30 p.m. Crews from South Metro Fire Rescue Authority and the Franktown Fire Department assisted Castle Rock Fire and Rescue.
There were no injuries or property damage, though the fire came within about 50 feet of the back fence of the nearest homes.
Investigators on Friday found the remnants of an illegal aerial firework in the area where the fire started and ruled the fire human-caused. Anyone with information about the fire is encouraged to call investigators at 303-660-1066.
As a reminder, Stage 1 fire restrictions remain in place in Castle Rock, as they have been since June 5. Use of personal fireworks is illegal when Stage 1 restrictions are in place, as well as any time other than on July 4. Additionally, any fireworks that leave the ground or explode are always illegal in Colorado. Violations of these provisions are punishable through various criminal citations.
Keep our community safe amid the current dry conditions – do not use fireworks.
Get Town news straight to your inbox. Sign up online at CRgov.com/notifyme, or follow the Town on Facebook (facebook.com/CRgov), Twitter (@CRgov) and LinkedIn (search Town of Castle Rock).