[delay +1 hour]
Live Training to take place at site of former
Bahia Cabana Beach Resort on Fort Lauderdale Beach
The 2018 Fort Lauderdale Fire Training Expo is a six-day training conference that begins today, Monday, October 1, and ends on Saturday, October 6. More than 300 firefighters from as far as Argentina, Colombia, Panama, Brazil, Guatemala, Chile, Ecuador and throughout the United States will be in town to participate in the Expo.
During the conference, firefighters will be conducting hands-on training sessions on Fort Lauderdale Beach at the site of the former Bahia Cabana Beach Resort, located at 3001 Harbor Drive just west of A1A, and at surrounding buildings. Training will take place on the following dates and times:
* Wednesday, October 3, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
* Friday, October 5, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
* Saturday, October 6, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Firefighters will be training in live fire conditions learning how to survive in adverse and challenging situations. The following conditions will be present in the training area:
* Mild to moderate smoke conditions every 45 minutes for 10-15 minutes.
* Low-level noise from saws, idling engines and tools.
* Traffic congestion on Harbor Drive, which will be closed at A1A. A Police detail will be on site to assist with traffic. Westbound lanes on Harbor will be open.
Media inquiries should be directed to Fort Lauderdale Fire Rescue Battalion Chief Steve Gollan at 954-439-6361 or sgollan. For more information about the Fire Training Expo, please contact the Overall Training Coordinator, Battalion Chief Mike Salzano, at 954-650-1741 or msalzano.
Visit the Fire Training Expo website at: