SPRINGFIELD, Mo., November 16, 2016 — Alumni and supporters of Drury and Southwest Baptist universities raised a combined total of more than $104,000 during the third annual Bank of Bolivar Catfight Giving Challenge. Drury came out on top in the friendly competition, raising $78,343 to SBU’s $25,689. Bank of Bolivar has also contributed $2,000 to Drury as the competition’s winner and $500 to SBU.
The fundraising event has become an annual challenge adding to the longstanding on-court rivalry between the Panther and Bearcat basketball teams. The schools sought to raise $13,000 each over the 13 days leading up to game and aggressively surpassed their goals. The final push for donations took place during Tuesday’s Catfight double-header at Drury’s O’Reilly Family Event Center. Drury won both the men’s and women’s basketball games on the court as well.
“Drury Panthers rallied together to achieve victory in this year’s challenge,” said Wayne Chipman, Executive Director of University Advancement at Drury. “We were impressed with the support from our alumni and friends who rose to the challenge and supported annual student scholarships. This is a great competition between the two schools and a special thanks goes to Bank of Bolivar for encouraging this friendly competition.”
Money raised by Drury will support students through the Annual Drury Experience Fund. Money raised by SBU will go to the university’s annual scholarship fund.
The Annual Drury Experience Fund is an effort to raise $1.5 million in annual scholarship and financial aid support for students with limited financial resources. Gifts to the Annual Drury Experience Fund will:
- Increase the number of students who receive financial support.
- Provide engaged learning experiences and leadership development opportunities for students.
- Create opportunities for students to continue their education and improve their desired skills.
- Provide professional connections and skills development for students.
- Award stipends for field research, classroom travel and business partnerships.
- Provide on-site, real-world, engaged learning and professional development for students.
For more information about Advancement at Drury, visit alumni.drury.edu.