My name is Alaina Rupe. I am the CEO of Lai Rupe’s Choreography. I have been asked to write about the option of choosing a career in dance. You may be asking yourself questions like, “Is this a smart move. Am I good enough to make it in the dance world? Can dance really be my career?” The answer to all of these is “Yes” . . . .but only if you really want it. If you have any specific questions about having a career in dance, please email me personally at: [email protected]. I would love to help you.
Here are three steps to help you make your career in the dance world:
Step 1 – Have a desire to share your unequaled, unbridled passion for dance with the world.
Ever since I was a little girl, all I ever wanted to do was to be a professional dancer and someday own my own dance studio. Now that I am an adult and many of my childhood dreams have changed, this one has not.
Dancing is my life.
It is my first love.
Every day I get to dance is greater than the one before. As I fulfill my childhood dreams, I am so excited to now have the opportunity to help other dancers achieve their dreams too. I have been dancing professionally for over 20 years and there is nothing more that I love to do in this world than share my talents and passion for dance with others.
The reason I have been able to have a career in dance is not because I had a lot of money for a studio and marketing, or that I was a star on the hit TV show “So You Think You Can Dance”. The reason I have a career in dance is because my passion and love for dancing has pushed me to make dance a huge part of my life. My desire to always dance, and inspire others through the art of dance, is how and why I have succeeded.
So, if you want to make it work with a career in dance, you have to be ready to lay your heart on the line and give it everything you have. You must be self-motivated to simply let your love for this beautiful art and sport drive you to become more than you ever thought was possible. You can accomplish anything when you put 100% into it.
Step 2 – Choose your dance career path.
On of the most beautiful facts about dance is its endless career possibilities. There are countless opportunities in different styles and different markets. We are all different. None of us want exactly the same things in life, and that’s a good thing! Consider which aspect of dance you most enjoy – unconditionally – and go for it! Here are some questions to help you decide:
· What type of dance style do I love most? Ballet, Jazz, Tap, Contemporary, Ballroom, Salsa, Folk Dance, Irish soft shoe, Lyrical, Modern, Military, Kick-line, Belly dancing, etc.,
· How do you want to pursue your career?
o Own my own studio
o Teach at an established studio
o Coach a High School Dance Team
o Choreograph for dance teams
o Join a professional dance company
o Become a Lai Rupe Dancer
· When do I want to accomplish my goals?
o Set a time-frame for your goals and block out what you will do to reach them.
If you have specific questions about reaching a certain goal, please email me. I would love to talk with you one-on-one to give you more details about how to perfect your dancing career and make your dance dreams really come true.
· You may find yourself asking, “How do I even begin to build my own dance studio?” Going through this process on my own, starting from scratch, I have created a dance studio construction packet, which you may purchase on my website under “How to be a better dance instructor” – http://www.lairupe.com/#!how-to-be-a-better-dance-instructor/c3k9. I also offer tons of dance articles, filled with advice. You can always email me with any questions or concerns, and I will take the time to take care of you. Helping others achieve their dreams is one of my dreams, so I am here to help you!
Step 3 – Get to Work!
You now know what you want to do in the world of dance, and it is now time to make those dreams happen for real. Since I have focused my career on being a professional choreographer with my choreography dance team, I will offer you some insight on how I accomplished my goals to become an international choreographer and dance instructor.
1. Make it official. To become an official business owner in today’s world, as a choreographer, one of the first steps is creating your professional website. With all of the free programs out there, creating a website should be easy and fun. (Check out: Weebly, Wix, WordPress.) If you need help creating a website, reach out to me, and I would love to take care of you!
2. Advertise. In order for a business to strive, you have to advertise. I have found some great ways to advertise with dance careers through Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter. Social media is an excellent way to get yourself out there and seen. A lot of people will come to you, just from your social media sites, and this is easy, FREE marketing for you. Below are a few other sites that have really helped me expand my business to become an international choreographer:
b. Gig Salad
c. ShoutOut Cards – Wix Shout outs, help my emails and promotions look more professional and increased my responses by 10%. – http://shoutout.wix.com/so/8KiEndHZ#/main
d. Keep Going. Starting out (as an entrepreneur especially,) is hard! There will be hundreds of times you will think you aren’t good enough and you can’t do it. You will get discouraged because of a lack of money and clients, but my advice is to keep going! It is not an easy road starting from scratch, but if it is your passion, you can do it!
The primary advice to becoming a successful dance instructor, choreographer, coach, or professional dancer, is to simply work hard for it. Make sure you are in your best health, physically. Work hard to accomplish the goals that you set, but don’t get too discouraged if you fall short. When dancing is your biggest passion, you should never give up on it. If you have more specific questions or concerns, please reach out to me at [email protected]. I would love to walk you through any aspects within the dance world and help you make a career out of doing what you love!