Independence Day fireworks, Family Fourth at Rockledge and other activities abound
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – Many City of Colorado Springs administrative and elected administrative offices and agencies will be CLOSED Wednesday, July 4 in observance of Independence Day, including:
· City Hall
· City Clerk
· Municipal Court
· Sales Tax Office
· Administrative offices for Mountain Metropolitan Transit
· Parks, Recreation & Cultural Services Administrative Building
· Colorado Springs Pioneers Museum
· Deerfield Hills Community Center
· Otis Park Community Center
· Hillside Community Center – closed July 2-7 for facility maintenance
· Meadows Community Center
· City Auditorium
· Sertich Ice Center
· Memorial Park Recreation Center
· Colorado Springs Tennis
· Sports Office and Therapeutic Recreation Programs at Memorial Park
· Prospect Lake Boating – closed to motorized and non-motorized watercraft
· Prospect Lake Beach
Park roads closed to vehicles for firework display viewing
Due to severe overcrowding, nonexistent ingress or egress for first responders and protection of our natural resources, the following park roads will be closed to vehicular access only. Please do not block roadways, driveways or gate access:
· Gold Camp Rd. closed to vehicles only from 11 p.m. July 3 through 5 a.m. July 5
· Roads in Palmer Park will be closed to vehicles only from 11 p.m. July 3 through 5 a.m. July 5.
The following facilities will remain open July 4:
|· Memorial Park (see below)
· Rockledge Ranch Historic Site (see below)
· Garden of the Gods Park
· Starsmore Center
· Helen Hunt Visitors Center
· City Golf Courses
|· Park and Visitor’s HUB
· Uncle Wilber Fountain in Acacia Park
· Julie Penrose Fountain in America the Beautiful Park
· Pikes Peak – America’s Mountain (Weather permitting)
· See YMCA website
Fireworks are illegal within Colorado Springs city limits. Leave the fireworks to the professionals by attending City of Colorado Springs-sponsored July Fourth Activities:
Summer Symphony (July 4): Starting 5:30 p.m. Wednesday, visit Memorial Park for an evening of fun for the whole family. Listen to the Colorado Springs Philharmonic beginning at 7:30 p.m. and finish the evening with a permitted fireworks display at dusk. For more details, visit csphilharmonic.org.
The following roads surrounding Memorial Park will be closed from 2-10 p.m.:
· Pikes Peak Ave (from Hancock to Union)
· Sheridan, Foote, Logan, Farragut, Meade (from Pikes Peak to Kiowa)
· Union Boulevard (from Pikes Peak to Eastlake)
· Prospect Lake Drive
· Cimarron, Moreno, Rio Grande, Las Animas (from Hancock to Prospect Lake Drive)
· Sheridan, Foote, Logan, Meade (from Fountain Boulevard to Prospect Lake Drive)
Internal park roads (Farragut, Sports, and Memorial) will also be closed from 2-10 p.m., and Hancock Avenue will be closed from 9-10 p.m.
Only vehicles carrying persons with disabilities will be permitted to park inside of Memorial Park. These handicap parking spaces can be accessed via Union Boulevard (100 S. Union and 200 S. Union).
Family Fourth at Rock Ledge Ranch (July 4): From 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Wednesday, visit Rock Ledge Ranch Historic Site to join several patriotic activities, including:
· Patriotic music by the Fountain Creek Brass Band and reenactments from notable historic people like Jackson Palmer and Katherine Lee Bates
· A visit to the Revolutionary War encampment
· Seven Falls Indian Dancers performance
· Carnival games in the barn with prizes, rope making, candy scramble and wagon rides
· Bring a picnic lunch or visit food trucks. Buy a slice of pie in the Carriage House or grab some popcorn at the General Store for the melodrama play at 2 p.m.
· Visit interpreters at the American Indian Area, Galloway Homestead, Rock Ledge House & Chambers Farm, Orchard House Estate, Blacksmith Shop, Garden & General Store.
Admission is $8 for adults, $5 for seniors (55+), $4 for children (6-17). Children age 5 and under are free. There will be discounts available for active duty military with an ID. Some activities require extra tickets, which can be purchased for $.50 each. For additional information, visit rockledgeranch.com or call (719) 578-6777.