NEW ORLEANS — On Thursday, Sept. 27, the City of New Orleans, Department of Public Works will hold its third abandoned vehicle auction of the year. The auction will begin at 9 a.m. at the Almonaster Auto Pound, which is located at 10200 Almonaster Ave., with registration starting at 8 a.m. Since May 2010 the City of New Orleans has held 34 vehicle auctions, selling more than 3,200 abandoned cars and contributing more than $2 million to the City’s general fund.
The current auction will have more than 100 vehicles for sale, all of which have been discarded on neighborhood streets or left unclaimed by residents with excessive parking fines and fees. Individuals interested in purchasing a car are encouraged to pre-register and to arrive early, as many cars sell within the first few minutes of the auction.
The vehicle preview day and buyer registration is tomorrow, Wednesday Sept. 26, from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m. at the Almonaster Auto Pound; no one will be admitted after 2:30 p.m. for security reasons. All persons must be over the age of 18 to register, and there is a $50 cash deposit required to register for the auction. Auction registration will also be on auction day, beginning at 8 a.m.
All prospective buyers must register before the viewing and pay the $50 cash registration deposit. The fee is applied to any purchase made or refunded if no purchase is made. There is a $25 notary fee, per vehicle, added to each purchaser’s invoice at time of payment, yielding a notarized bill of sale and title, which a buyer will use to transfer vehicle(s) into their name.
Servcorp International, Inc., located at 101 Magnolia St. in Slidell, is the State of Louisiana’s licensed, authorized dealer and conducts auctions on all City of New Orleans equipment.
- All vehicle information is currently on the Servcorp International, Inc. site, www.servcorpii.com. Per the terms of the contract, the available vehicle list includes the VIN, make, model and owner information. Any auction-related questions should be directed to Servcorp International Inc. at (985) 847-1242.
- Prior to the auction, attempts are made to contact the vehicle’s owner or lien holder, before the vehicles are added to the auction list. Vehicle owners or lien holders that pay all fines and fees are able to retrieve their vehicles prior to the auction.
Purchasing a Vehicle
- Cash or cashier’s check required.
- Payment must be received on the day of the auction. If payment is not received, the purchased vehicle will be placed on the list for the next scheduled auction, the buyer’s $50 deposit will be forfeited, and the bidder will be barred from participation in future auctions.
- A $25 notary fee will be added for each purchased vehicle, which gives the buyer a notarized bill of sale and title to that vehicle.
- City employees and relatives of City employees are forbidden from purchasing any vehicles at the auction.
- For more information, visit Servcorp international, Inc. website at www.servcorpii.com.