Chuck Minker Sports Complex Was Used As Emergency Shelter
The Las Vegas City Council will recognize a team of city employees who assisted 51 people forced to flee their apartments during a February fire at the Wednesday, April 5, City Council meeting that will begin at 9 a.m. in council chambers, located at 495 S. Main St.
On Feb. 10, 2017, a fire forced 51 people to evacuate an apartment complex at 624 Stewart Ave. In cooperation with the Red Cross and the Salvation Army, the city opened the Chuck Minker Sports Complex, 275 N. Mojave Road, as an emergency shelter for these residents. The citizens, many of whom were elderly and suffering from chronic medical conditions, were able to receive shelter, meals and assistance at the center from the city, the Red Cross and the Salvation Army. In addition, service animals and pets were also taken care of by city staff.
Also, Councilman Bob Coffin will recognize the Desert Pines Jaguars boys basketball team. These young athletes won the State 3A championship.
Councilman Ricki Y. Barlow will recognize National Library Week, and all the services that libraries provide in our community.
The City Council is also scheduled to bring attention to National Crime Victims’ Rights Week, as well as thanking the group Prevent Child Abuse Nevada for all the work its members do in our community safeguarding children.
Councilwoman Lois Tarkanian will recognize Knight Allen for his community service in Ward 1 and the entire city of Las Vegas.
Finally, the City Council will also recognize Wear White for William Day, to bring awareness to how to prevent and look for the symptoms of the disease bacterial meningitis.