The Water Department is giving away free rain gauges at participating libraries in July to celebrate Smart Irrigation Month.
Smart Irrigation Month is hosted by the Irrigation Association and encourages water conservation in the landscape. Practice these easy steps to avoid water waste:
- Get in the zone. Schedule each individual zone in your irrigation system to account for type of sprinkler, sun or shade exposure and soil in that section. Different zones will almost always need different watering schedules.
- Consider soil type. Type of soil determines how quickly water can be absorbed without runoff. Watering more than the soil can absorb causes runoff and waste.
- Don’t send water down the drain. Set sprinklers to water plants, not your driveway, sidewalk, patio or buildings.
- Water only when needed. Saturate root zones and let the soil dry. Watering too much and too frequently results in shallow roots, weed growth, disease and fungus.
- Water at the best time. Watering during the heat of the day may cause losses of up to 30 percent due to evaporation. Prevent water loss by watering when the sun is low or down, winds are calm and temperatures are cool — typically between the evening and early morning.
- Water more often for shorter periods. For example, setting your system to run for three five-minute intervals lets soil absorb more water than watering for 15 minutes at one time.
- Adapt watering to the season. Familiarize yourself with the settings on your irrigation controller and adjust the watering schedule regularly based on seasonal weather conditions. Or invest in a smart controller so your system can make these changes automatically.
Rain gauges are available during July at these locations:
- BOLD (Butler Outreach Library Division), 1801 South Freeway.
- COOL (Cavile Outreach Opportunity Library), 5060 Ave. G.
- Central, 500 W. Third St.
- Diamond Hill Jarvis, 1300 N.E. 35th St.
- East Berry, 4300 E. Berry St.
- East Regional, 6301 Bridge St.
- Ella Mae Shamblee, 1062 Evans Ave.
- Northside, 601 Park St.
- Northwest, 6228 Crystal Lake Drive.
- Ridglea, 3628 Bernie Anderson.
- Riverside, 2913 Yucca Ave.
- Seminary South, 501 E. Bolt St.
- Southwest Regional, 4001 Library Lane.
- Summerglen, 205 Basswood Blvd.
- Wedgewood, 3816 Kimberly Lane.
- eSkills Library & Job Center, 2800 Stark St.