With well-being at a new high, Fort Worth is celebrating big news: certification as a Blue Zones Community. Becoming a Blue Zones Community reflects five years of work and citywide changes to make healthy choices easier where people live, work, pray and play.
In honor of the achievement, Fort Worth is designating Nov. 5-9 as Blue Week, with businesses offering special promotions and tips for practicing Power 9 principles of longevity. To cap off the week, the public is invited to a free Blue Zones Project Community Celebration from 2-5 p.m. Nov. 10 at Will Rogers Memorial Center, 3401 Lancaster Ave.
To join the fun during Blue Week, check out these tips for healthy living and take advantage of the special promotions being offered throughout the city:
Download a mindfulness app. Create a quiet space in your home for relaxation and downshifting. Check out a Blue Zones Project Approved organization like Indigo Yoga, Mindset Fitness & Yoga or Soul Space Yoga Community.
Try a plant-based recipe. Shop for produce specials at a Blue Zones Project Approved grocery store. Dine at one of Fort Worth’s Blue Zones Project Approved restaurants, including these offering Blue Week promotions:
- 10 percent off Blue Zones-inspired menu items at Great Harvest Bread Co.
- 10 percent off Blue Zones-inspired menu items a Terra.
- 10 percent off Blue Zones-inspired menu items at Americado.
- 10 percent off Blue Zones-inspired menu items at Oliva Eatery.
- 10 percent off Light and Tasty menu items at Nektar.
- 10 percent off The Apple of My Eye juice at Righteous Foods.
- $2 off jackfruit tacos at The Garden Market and Bistro.
- Buy one Blue Zones-inspired taco at Taco Heads, get one free.
Initiate a walking meeting. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Take your dog for a walk. Form a walking group or “moai” to meet on a regular basis.
Drink to better health at one of Fort Worth’s Blue Zones Project Approved restaurants, including these offering Blue Week promotions:
- 50 percent off a juice or smoothie at Boulevard of Greens.
- $3 off apple cider vinegar drink from The Garden Market & Bistro.
- 15 percent off all wine flights starting at 5 p.m. at Grand Cru.
- Happy hour pricing on any drink when ordering a Blue Zones-inspired menu item at Americado.
- $5 wine by the glass on select brands at Fixture.
- $5 16-oz. smoothie or juice from Nektar.
- 10 percent off fall Vin Brule special at Righteous Foods.
- $4 glass of house wine from 5 to 7 p.m. at Terra.
Participate in or host an employee-led group fitness class. Try Camp Gladiator, Body Bar Fitness or Indigo Yoga. Or take advantage of these Fitness Friday offers:
- Get a free one-day pass to the downtown YMCA; mention Blue Week.
- Go for a bike ride on a BCycle; use promo code 112018 at Fort Worth Bike Sharing stations for $2 off.