Austin Hosting Public Comment/Discussion Meetings for Two Proposed Affordable Housing Developments
Wed, 04/15/2020 – 14:02
The Austin Housing Finance Corporation (AHFC) is hosting public comment and discussion meetings on Tuesday, April 21 to gather public input on two proposed affordable housing developments: one at 900 Gardner Road, and another at 1127 – 1131 Tillery Road.
AHFC’s goal is to partner with developers identified through a competitive proposal process to develop these projects. Each is located on City-owned land and are being considered specifically to benefit low- and moderate-income households in Austin. Each property will be developed with the following objectives:
- Maximizing the number of affordable units;
- Maximizing the number of deeply affordable units;
- Maximizing the number of affordable multi-bedroom units for families and continuum of care units for persons experiencing homelessness; and,
- Minimizing the amount the City of Austin may need to subsidize per affordable unit.
The timeline for both projects includes two public comment and discussion meetings (April 21 and another in May 14), followed by a public solicitation for developer proposals for the project in June. From the pool of submissions, a proposal will be selected by August, with an agreement executed by December 2020. Construction is expected to be completed in 2023 or before. Community stakeholders will be updated regularly throughout the process.
Community information packets detailing the proposed developments are available online, at gardnerdevelopmentatx.com and tillerydevelopmentatx.com. For those without internet access, information packets about each of the development sites are available at the Walgreens located at 1144 Airport Boulevard.
Given the distancing requirements in effect amid the COVID-19 outbreak, AHFC staff have developed multiple ways for Austinites to submit their comments and suggestions for the projects:
- Call 3-1-1 and tell the operator that you are commenting about either the Gardner Road or Tillery Road Affordable Housing Development Projects.
- Text ‘Gardner’ to 512-580-8850 to share comments with the project team before or during the meeting.
- Email comments to [email protected], including your name and address.
- Participate Online during the public meeting through the streaming service PublicInput.com/Gardener (April 21, at 5:30 pm) or PublicInput.com/Tillery (April 21, at 7:30 pm). Participants can ask questions via the chat-box on the site, or by calling 512-580-8850 and entering project code (Gardner Code: 7850 / Tillery Code: 7886).
If you have questions, or need more information, please email [email protected].