|LAS VEGAS (Sept. 19, 2019) – The much-anticipated Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays may still be months away, but the best time to book flights for these busy travel weeks is quickly approaching. In fact, a recent analysis of AAA Travel’s flight booking data from the last three years reveals that Sept. 25 marks the start of the best booking window for air travel around both the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays.
“Holiday travelers should make their plans now and begin booking their flights for Thanksgiving and Christmas as early as Wednesday, Sept. 25 for the best deals and availability,” said Sergio Avila, spokesperson for AAA Nevada. “Last year, AAA forecast a record-breaking amount of travelers, if that trend continues you can expect busy airports.”
- Best time to book airfare: September 25 – October 27
- Best Pricing: Seven to 13 days before the holiday but availability is limited.
- Best day to fly before the holiday: Monday before Thanksgiving.
- Least crowded day to travel: Sunday before Thanksgiving but prices are highest.
- Cheapest day to fly: Thanksgiving Day
- Best time to book airfare: September 26 – October 25
- Most popular time to book airfare: October 26 – November 27
- Best pricing: Seven to 13 days before Christmas but availability is limited.
- Least expensive/least crowded day to travel: Christmas Eve
- Busiest day to travel: December 22nd
- Most expensive day to travel after Christmas: December 26th
When it comes to getting the best value for your travel this holiday season, AAA recommends:
- Start researching holiday travel options now and book flights by Oct. 27.
- Consult a knowledgeable travel agent; they can take the guesswork out of researching and evaluating the many available options, saving time, the hassle and the headache.
- Consider purchasing travel insurance for your flight to protect your trip from life’s unexpected surprises that can throw a wrench in your plans.
For more information, visit AAA.com/Travel.
AAA analyzed its member flight booking data for travel within the continental United States, from 2016-2018 to determine the best and most popular times to book air travel for the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays, as well as the prices travelers pay during various advance booking windows. An unweighted, three-year average ticket price was used for this analysis. Since Thanksgiving always falls on a Thursday, the full week of Thanksgiving (Sunday through Saturday) was analyzed. For the Christmas holiday, Dec. 19-26 was analyzed, regardless of what day of the week Christmas fell on that year.
About AAA Nevada
AAA has a proud history of serving Members for over 100 years. AAA is on a mission to create Members for life by unleashing the innovative spirit of 4,000 employees representing 6 million Members across Northern California, Arizona, Utah, Nevada, Montana, Wyoming and Alaska. In addition to legendary roadside assistance, AAA offers home, auto and life insurance, and extraordinary travel services. According to Via Magazine’s Smart Guide, being a AAA Member can save you more than $1,200 a year. Learn more at AAA.com. [end]